This is truly the best French Onion soup and the best part is that it takes only 20 minutes!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 large onions
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine (I used Pinot Noir)
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dry thyme
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Favorite melting cheese such as provolone, Swiss, Gruyere slices
1. Slice onions and set aside. Turn on sauté mode on Instant Pot and melt the butter until it sizzles.
2. Add the onions and brown sugar and stir regularly for about 10-15 minutes or until the onions have cooked down by about half and have become translucent.
3. Add the broth, red wine, balsamic vinegar, thyme, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Give it a stir and secure the lid. Hit “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” for 8 minutes. Quick release when done.
4. Layer the croutons on top of the soup then cover with 1-2 slices of cheese. Cheese will melt on its own or you can broil individual servings in crocks.