Anything is better with Nutella, right? Well that’s certainly the case with these little tasties. A rich buttery cookie is taken straight to heaven when rolled in coconut and a lovely gem of nutella placed in the center. It’s actually a really easy cookie to whip up and oh so yummy. A great cookie recipe for holiday baking or cookie exchanges and it will quickly become a family favorite. Yummy to the max!
Nutella Thumbprint Cookies Yields 36 cookies
3 sticks (3/4 pound) butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
7 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
Nutella (the amount depends on how generous you are but you’ll need approximately 1/2 cup)
1. In a mixer, cream together the butter sugar for several minutes.
Add the vanilla and gradually add the flour and salt until well combined.
2. Transfer the dough onto a piece seran wrap, form into a large ball, and refrigerate for 30 minutes to chill. If you’re in a hurry you can also pop it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350°. Form the chilled dough into balls, approximately 1 1/4 inches, or weighing 1 ounce if you’re using a scale.
Dip the balls into the egg wash, roll in flaked coconut, and transfer to an ungreased cookie sheet. Use your finger or thumb to form an indentation in the dough for filling with Nutella. 🙂
Using a teaspoon, fill each indentation with about 1/4 teaspoon of Nutella.
4. Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until the edges are a light brown and the coconut is toasted. Since all ovens vary slightly, I always recommend baking one cookie first to see what the exact time is to avoid burning an entire sheet.
5. Transfer cookies to a wire cooling rack. Eat the cooled Nutelal Thumbprint Cookies with a glass of milk or hot cocoa. Enjoy!