Love is in the air…or is that just the smell of cupcakes in the oven? Either way, these cupcakes will have you channeling St. Valentine in no time. A classic vanilla cupcake combined with the tartness of pink lemonade is just the incentive needed to pucker up and smooch somebody. This lemony tart concoction is perfectly complimented by a sweet butter cream frosting and packs a deliciously sweet and sour punch. Oh and they’re super easy! They’re perfect for a Valentine’s party or for making for your sweetheart.
Pucker Up Buttercup-cakes
Makes 24 cupcakes
- 1 box of vanilla cake mix
- 3 Tablespoons powdered pink lemonade mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/4 cup water
- red or pink food coloring
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- yellow food coloring
- sprinkles and edible Valentine’s decorations, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line your cupcake pans with paper baking cups.
2. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pink lemonade mix, eggs, oil, and water and beat for several minutes, until combined. Add a few drops of food coloring, until batter is the desired shade of pink.
3. Scoop batter into lined cupcake pans and bake for 15-20 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
4. Frosting: In a large bowl, cream together the butter and shortening. Gradually add in the cups of powdered sugar and salt. Beat in the milk and add more powdered sugar if necessary. Add a few drops of yellow food coloring until it’s your desired shade of yellow.
5. Frost the cooled cupcakes with a piping bag or with a spatula. Decorate with optional sprinkles and edible Valentine’s decorations.
It’s time to pucker up! Have a Happy Valentine’s Day!